Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Newspaper Necklaces! FABULOUS!

Last year my Aunt Lisa mailed me a package with some miscellaneous items that she thought I could use for my handbags. She also sent 2 necklaces which we made some 13 years prior during a summer I spent at her home in Virginia.


I had completely forgotten about the necklaces, but I recognized them instantly and couldn't believe she held onto them for so long. Needless to say, I was thrilled and couldn't wait to start wearing them! Since then, I've been stopped several times by strangers inquiring about these unique pieces of jewelry so I thought I'd share the secrets of this creative DIY project.

Use you what you've got!
The materials we used were:
Newspaper, the comics to be exact (although it'd probably also be interesting to use black text for a different effect).
These necklaces are threaded on dental floss and have a few extra colorful beads.
Oh and glue to hold the paper together!
Make a pattern similar to the one below and cut out lots of strips of the newspaper. You can use different widths (for different size beads), but the key is to make sure the pattern is graded, having one side smaller than the other sort of like a triangle with the pointy tip cut off.

It's a little fuzzy from here, but I think maybe we used a glue stick and applied it to one side. Then definitely start with the larger end and roll (roll it tightly, but leave space to be able to get some thread through!). Obviously, let the beads dry and then thread.


I'm still pretty impressed by these necklaces for holding up this long. I don't claim credit for coming up with this idea, but I think it's awesome none-the-less...so cool and inexpensive!
I'm going to try and make these necklaces again and I'll update with what I come up with!

1 comment:

.7728. said...

so awesome! i want to try this!

ruthie